The Board believes one of the greatest resources available may be found in the citizens of the community who have special knowledge and talents to contribute to the District. The use of citizens as volunteers within the school program enhances the educational process not only for students, but for the community as well. Volunteers may provide additional support in the classroom, promote community-school cooperation in facilitating the learning process and provide resource persons who have expertise in various areas.
Recruitment and selection of volunteers is done at the local building level. Interested individuals should contact the building principal or his/her designee. The interests and abilities of the volunteers are considered when making assignments.
All volunteers shall be registered with the District office and at the appropriate building. Standard procedures for record keeping include hours contributed by various volunteers, types of services or donations made and an application kept on file at the local school for any volunteer who works directly with students, especially in tutorial relationships.
The District notifies current and prospective volunteers who have or will have unsupervised access to students on a regular basis that a criminal records check may be conducted at any time.
If you are interested in volunteering the Austintown Local School District, the following will need to be completed prior to starting:
- Complete the "ALS Volunteer Registration Form" and return it to the Athletic Director or Building Principal. THIS FORM MUST BE COMPLETED ON AN ANNUAL BASIS.
This form will be given to the Director of Human Resources office and they will contact you for the following:
- Completed "ALS Volunteer Activity Waiver" form
- Completed BCI/FBI background check (if you have copies of results from the Ohio Attorney General's office that are within a year, those will be accepted)
- Completed drug screen (Information on site locations will be given)
- Verification of ODE Pupil Activity Permit (for Athletic Volunteers only)
All volunteers must have these items on file and may only begin once they are board approved and/or the Superintendent gives approval to begin.